Sunday, August 2, 2009

Can computer paper be used as a mulch barrier?

I've read about using layers of newspaper and cardboard, but I was wondering how many sheets of computer paper can be used if I don't have newspaper and cardboard. We have a ton of paper in our office to be recycled and I'd love to be able to use it as a mulch barrier. I wasn't sure if computer paper work work as well as newspaper or cardboard.

Can computer paper be used as a mulch barrier?
(Paper sales for over 25 years)


I have always heard people on TV shows using paper as mulch. I personally wouldn't recommend using any paper product. The above comment is not correct...all of those types of paper have acids in them. However, the worst part is the chlorine used in the newspaper and computer paper. It is used to whitening the product during the paper making procedure. Most of the fine paper mills have moved away from this, but the lowers end mills still use it. (newspaper, computer paper(pinfed style)) If I was going to use anything, I would try to find some pine straw instead.


GL
Reply:computer paper has a lot more acid in it that newspaper or cardboard. That high acidity can damage and even kill plants.


No comments:

Post a Comment