Monday, May 24, 2010

How can I wirelessly connect my turntable to my computer?

For several years, I have moved songs on LPs, CDs, and cassettes from my turntable/CD/ cassette player to iTunes in my computer (I've also done this with my video player). I did this by using a cable to connect the headphone jack on my player to the inport jack on my computer. The results have been entirely satisfactory. However, there are disadvantages to this system, like tripping over the cable, or not being able to find the cable when I want it. Now I would like to do the process wirrelessly. Most people say that it cannot be done, or that the sound quality suffers too much. Well, I rountinely compress MP3 way beyond what is recommended, and I am entirely sartisfied with the results. I can't tolerate static or other extraneous noises, though.

How can I wirelessly connect my turntable to my computer?
It can be done. I have no clue as far as quality goes but your gunna need an audio/video wireless adapter thingy. Your also going to need a video card that accepts audio inputs i.e. the white and red cords.
Reply:It depends on how much of a hacker you are... there are several wireless systems on the market that would work. A trip to Radio Shack would get you pretty close.





But thats not how the GeekBoy rolls...





You need to solve two problems: Transmission and receiving.





Here's what I would try: Get one of the car radio broadcasters for your car for media players that take a headphone input and broadcast it on an FM signal.





You may have to cludge a power supply, but it would transmit the signal over RF to your receiver's radio.





The problem with phonographs is that the output signal is at a VERY low level... one tenth to one one-hundredth of what come sout of the headphone jack of an IPod or stereo. Some kind of preamp may be needed (also a Radio Shack fix).





If I had an idea of your budget/home brew willingness, I could be more specific.





Bottom line, projects that other people say can't be doe are the must fun to pull off. Then sell your solution on eBay, and, of course send a complimentary kit to the answers.yahoo guy :)





Best of luck.


No comments:

Post a Comment