Monday, May 24, 2010

How to clean up a failing computer?

A family member has a failing computer running XP Pro whereas I have a spare drive on my own computer with an unused XP Pro installation already set up. My idea is to back up all his files/folders etc using the Back Up facility within Windows Live OneCare and then set him up on my spare drive. All XP installations in this house have passed Microsoft validation however, he does not have an installation CD but I can get his Product Key. I have two questions. What is the best method of preparing a computer for a fresh installation of XP Pro (is formatting the HDD too extreme)? Secondly, if I use my installation CD to re-install XP Pro on his computer but when the time comes to enter a Product Key, I enter HIS Product Key rather than my own, can that work? Are Product Keys only specific to the program/application being installed or are they specific to the individual installation CD being used?

How to clean up a failing computer?
Although I am not an expert, I know that there are two types of CDs -- those that come with a computer (which have been customized for that type of computer) and those that come commercially. If your XP Pro was purchased comercially, you should be fine to install it. IF, however, you have one type of computer (e.g. Sony Vaio) and your family member has another (e.g. HP Pavilion), you will not be able to use an OEM (Original Equipment Manufacturer) version of the CD. IF, on the other hand, you both have the same "make and model" of computer, you may be able to use it.





For example, my father had an HP, I had an HP, but a different model -- we were not able to use the same CD.





The Product Keys are usually not specific to the CD, but it is possible that an OEM version CD may be that way.





As for formatting the HDD, that's exactly what I would do if given the chance.





If you have only OEM CDs and different models, you can get a "replacement" set of CDs from Microsoft by visiting their website for a small fee.

business cards

No comments:

Post a Comment