Friday, July 31, 2009

What causes a computer to suddenly freeze and shut off on its own?

My computer will shut down on its own and a black and white screen says that Windows did not start properly due to a possible hardware change. I havent changed any hardware on my computer. I have to turn the computer off by pressing the power button on the tower (ctrl/alt/delete doesnt work). I have Norton Antivirus 2005 installed with all the updates. What could be the problem and how do I fix it?

What causes a computer to suddenly freeze and shut off on its own?
It could be several things but overheating and impending hardware failure come to mind. Do the shutdowns occur after the computer has been running for a while or at boot time? If the computer has been running for a while it is likely an overheating problem due to a malfunctioning, or nonfunctioning, fan and needs service to prevent catastrophic failure that could lead to loss of your data and costly repairs or replacement of the entire pc.
Reply:Processor may be overheating. Is your fan running? Loose power cord?


No comments:

Post a Comment